- Will you wait for me?
Natalie Merchant, “Frozen Charlotte”
- As he stands there in the door
there’s no room for him anymore.
She lies there saying,
“Honey take one last look.”
Greg Brown, “My New Book”
- I don’t have time to go back in time.
I already lived it.
Pete Yorn, “Close”
- That morning sky gave me a look
So I left while you were sleeping.
Blind Pilot, “Half Moon”
- was it you on my arm
like a tattoo carved in
your strawberry curls
against my black leather grin
Jeff Finlin, “Long Lonesome Death of a Traveling Man”
- She said she’d call but that was three weeks ago
She left all her things well, her books and her letters from him
Dido, “Mary’s in India”
- And it’s impossible to tell
How important someone was
And what you might have missed out on
And how he might have changed it all
- We tried to make it work, you in a cocktail skirt and me in a suit but it just wasn’t me,
David Gray, “Say Hello Wave Goodbye”
Hmmm . . . I now see a somewhat melancholy theme here . . . (and they’re all some of my favorites).
Well, happy writing!